You have been prescribed Betnovate scalp lotion for your ears. Betnovate is a strong steroid that will reduce the amount of skin your ears produce and help with symptoms of itching.
Instructions for Use:
It is important to follow the instructions carefully to avoid any adverse effects.
- Dilute the solution with distilled water. Boil a kettle of water and allow it to cool down. Mix half Betnovate lotion with half distilled water in a clean dropper bottle (obtained from most chemists).
- Use 2 drops once a day for 7 days to the affected ear. Then stop using the solution and only use it if your ear itches – then just use 2 drops once a day for until settled – generally 2-3 days. If the itching persists there may be a different problem and you should consider a further appointment and stop using the solution.
- If the solution stings on use, dilute further with distilled water.
- Discard the solution after 1 month.
- It is important to maintain water precautions (cotton wool covered in Vaseline) whilst showering or swimming when using this treatment.
To Insert the Drops:
- Lie on your side with the affected ear upwards.
- Pull the ear gently backwards then up and away from the head as this straightens the ear canal.
- Put the prescribed amount of drops into the ear canal.
- Rub the tragus in front of your ear canal to ensure all the canal is coated.
- Rest on your side for 5 minutes.
- Sit up and tilt your head to the side, affected ear downwards, pulling your ear backwards and upwards to allow any excess to drain out. This prevents pooling of the solution in your ear canal.
If you experience any problems stop using the lotion.